- Digital retinal camera: our digital camera snaps a high-resolution digital picture of your retina. This picture clearly shows the health of your eyes and is used as a baseline to track any changes in your eyes in future eye examinations. At Insight we offer free digital retinal imaging as part of our standard eye examination services.
- Optovue RTVue OCT machine: this state-of-the-art equipment uses optical coherence tomography (OCT) to provide an ‘ultrasound’ of your eye. This equips us with a high- resolution, finely-detailed 3-D ‘cross section’ of your eyes, clearly showing the surface as well as the underlying eye tissue from all angles. After undergoing an eye exam at Insight, should we feel the need for further analysis, or should you have a family history of certain eye conditions, we will book you in for an OCT scan to ensure the most thorough diagnosis that technology can provide.
- Benefits of digital retinal imaging and OCT:
- Quick, safe, non-invasive and painless
- Provides detailed images of your retina and the sub-surface of your eyes
- Provides instant, direct imaging of the form and structure of eye tissue
- Image resolution is practically microscopic quality
- Does not use ionizing radiation and is eye-safe as near-infra-red light is used
- No special patient preparation or procedures required
Digital imaging technology provides vital information about your retina, macula and the health of the nerves and blood vessels in the eye. These are highly accurate diagnostic tools which greatly assist with the assessment and monitoring of conditions such as glaucoma, diabetic retinothapy, age-related macular degeneration (AMD or ARMD) and other macular conditions that are often hard to detect without this level of technology.